Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Night Ride Two Report - TMNT

Hello all of you loyal Logan Cycling Club fans. It is time for another blog post. I know you have all been holding your breath since the last full blog post came out. It is now time to breath freely and read of our travels.

You may recall me mentioning the west Clayton Rd. hill on my last post and the difficulty it gave me. Well folks, this time I had my way with that hill and it will haunt my dreams no longer. During the ride I was reminded of playing arcade games as a child and how difficult I found some of the bosses during certain levels. It was not long before I found a parallel with cycling. My favorite game growing up was the old Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles game so I decided to reference that when talking about our ride.


The game tonight was played with the maximum amount of players, four total. Me as Donatello, Captain as Raphael, The Rock as Leonardo and Starman as Michelangelo. The beginning started out pretty simple, continually walking to the right with very little trouble knocking down all of the thugs along the street (aka rolling hills and easy climbs). Shortly after this we came upon our first Boss (big hill). The last time we had played, it was just the two of us and I lost a couple lives (had to walk up the hill). This time was different. All four of the us fought as one to destroy the boss with continuous combo kicks and stabs to the face. It was truly an epic battle. After the first Boss the levels weren't so bad until we reached the Babler Boss (Babler State Park). Many do not realize this is an easter egg or "hidden level" which some choose to bypass (we snuck past the gate). Like many of the other levels, leading up to the boss wasn't so bad. We were able to move through fairly easily. But once we hit the boss there was not much we could do. Perhaps next week when we all get back together we will be able to destroy it but for now we just had to save the game.


Alright, that was super confusing. I hope some of you were able to follow. So the hill was much bigger than we anticipated but we did learn how Starman's name came about. Apparently when he gets really dehydrated and his blood sugar gets low he begins to see stars. No joke, it happened and we almost had to call Splinter for help. Splinter by the way is Brett. Mostly because right now he is carrying as many diseases as your average sewer rat. So, we nearly got lost in the park but once Starman recovered, he was able to guide us home using the constellations (GPS).

All in all it was a good ride. It was nice to see some of our new members out and I think we made a new friend with the guy at the gas station.

Oh, I forgot to put this on for last week. The Rock ran over a live possum during our ride. It was crazy.

-JFE

2 comments:

  1. I am interested in joining your bike club from afar. I live in NH and I'm an alumnus from your college. However, my wife does not allow me to bike around town dressed in my ninja turtle outfit like you guys do in St. Louis, so I ride my stationary bike at home from 5:15-7:30 in the morning before she gets up. She gets tired of washing my ninja turtle outfit everyday, but she has learned to compromise.
    Is it too late to be in the first million of your club members? I would hate to be that guy who is beyond the ten to the sixth power.
    Thanks, Renaissance Man

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely felt shell shocked after that ride! I've been working on my kick/punch combos since then and think we may all be able to take the Babler Boss this week. Just have to remember to blow out the cartrige and console good so the game doesn't freeze up on us mid-game this time around.

    ReplyDelete